Negative or harmful energy seeps into our living and working spaces all the time. It can originate from your mood, the mood of a visitor, the history of the space or the intentions of someone who is upset with you or envious of you.
Negative energy is a general term we use to describe sometimes unexplainable forces that make our lives harder to live. Everything is made of energy. You, me, your house, your car, that rock you use as a paperweight. Everything can be affected and transformed by energy. Negative energy affecting your life isn’t as far fetched as some may think.
15 Signs of negative energy in your home
- Things seem to disappear. Your keys, purse, right shoe… Though in reality, they are right under your nose, you’re just too confused to see it. You could swear someone is playing hide-and-seek with your stuff.
- Arguing for no reason. If you find that your loved ones are arguing a lot over petty things, this can be due to negative energy in your home and even worse, the bickering creates more negative energy.
- You’re living paycheck to paycheck, though your paycheck should be sufficient to cover expenses, living, and saving. Stagnation in our prosperity is a sign that the path to growth is blocked.
- Feeling sad or angry for no reason, out of the blue.
- You’re tired all the time though you have had a full night’s sleep.
- You do not feel like doing ANYTHING. You don’t feel like working, cooking, paying the bills, going out with friends, etc. Everyday things seem too overwhelming to do.
- Emotions. When at home, if you find yourself feeling too overwhelmed by emotion to function as you normally would, you’ll find you’re dealing with negative energy.
- Pests invade your clean home. If all of a sudden you have gone from the occasional mouse, waterbug, centipede or housefly to an outright invasion, something negative in the house is attracting them. This could be rotting food (that becomes negative as it decomposes) or negative energy. Weather changes can also cause this but if it’s enough pests to make you take notice, a cleansing is in order.
- Odors. Bad odors of uknown origin that manifest spontaneously and disappear quickly.
- Seeing shadows in your peripheral vision. Those who are even a little tiny bit intuitive can see energy from the corners of their eye if the energy is abundantly negative (dark) or positive (white, flashes of light).
- The feeling that you’re not alone, with a chill. Again, all you need is a little bit of access to your intuitive side to “feel” energy. Positive energy hovering around you will cause you to feel safe and secure, negative energy can cause goosebumps, chills, unnecessary exhaustion, and the feeling that you’re being watched or someone has entered the room when no one has.
- Medical issues that disappear when you’re at the doctor’s office. You’re feeling crummy at home, maybe coughing, headaches, body aches but as soon as you get in front of the doc, your symptoms disappear and you feel like an idiot. You get home, and the symptoms start again. This can be an indication of negative energy present in the home affecting your energy.
- You’ve got a green thumb but your plants are dying. Plants are the first thing that go to crap when your home is overwhelmed with negative energy.
- Electronics go whacky. Remember, these need energy to function too, so if your devices are not working at home but are working outside or work when a repairman shows up and stops when he leaves, there can be an overwhelming amount of negative energy in the home.
- Sleep issues. Insomnia, nightmares, waking up constantly and freezing when everyone says it’s warm. Unless there is a reason for you to stress so much that you’re having issues sleeping, negative energy can be the cause. Unless you’re coming down with a fever or are anemic, chills shouldn’t be dismissed.
How to remove negative energy
Your home has a powerful abundance of “your” energy (and those of your loved ones) just because of the amount of time you spend there thinking, talking and doing. So it’s important to clear out negative energy in these physical spaces, and at the same time clear out any negative energy that’s stuck to you (more on this in an upcoming article). So let’s start cleaning house!
Here are several ways to clear negative energy from your home. You may want to try several. I’ve listed them in order of intensity (from clearing a little bit of natural negative energy to clearing out a lot of purposefully manifested negative energy. Numbers one, two and three are a must in any situation:
Clean it up! It may be spotless but wiping down the walls and sweeping under area rugs will break up negative energy. Got a junk draw? Sort it out. Bills and mail piled up? Sort that too, there’s a place for everything and everything has a place. Laundry to do? Get on it. And stop hoarding. Truly. Throw things out. I get keeping stuff for sentimental reasons but negative energy attaches itself to objects too. Dead plants need to hit the compost too. Not only will your home be even cleaner than before, but that sense of accomplishment truly brings a sense of tranquility which pushes out negative energy.
Move things around. Moving your furniture around, even if it’s just moving a lamp, breaks up the flow of negative energy.
Let the sunlight in. Open windows and allow fresh energy to chase out the stagnant energy.
Give your floors an intentional sweep and wash. Intentions are made of energy. You can create good energies for your home and spread them out in a structured way. First sweep with the intention of sweeping out all the negative energy as if it were dust. Sweep, sweep it out the door. Leave no spot unswept. Always end outside the home’s main door. Then mop with the intention of covering your home in good energy. You can even give the water a bit of spiritual oomph by praying over it. Something as simple as “I pray that my home be filled with love and joy and prosperity.” You can also add some fresh basil to the water. Soak it in the bucket for a little bit and then wring it out and throw the basil away. Pine scented floor cleaner also adds its own ommph, but don’t mix it with the basil. 🤢 Then mop without worry. Mop with joy. Mop with love of your home and the inhabitants.
Sing, laugh or dance it off. Happiness plays a big part in dispelling negativity.
Smoke it. Burning sage or insence in your home in all of the rooms will also break up negative energy.
A Shamanic Task. If you’re experiencing an overwhelming amount of negative energy in your home, a coconut is your next step. This is a shamanic type task that I perform in our home once a month. I pray to the Divine Goddess when doing this but you can pray to whoever you have faith in and love for. Coconuts naturally hold an abundance of energy. How you use the coconut, your intentions for the use of that coconut, determines the nature of that energy (positive or negative). Many rituals require a coconut. The breaking of the coconut activates the intention of the coconut. To cleanse your home of negativity with a coconut, follow these steps:
Buy 2 brown dry coconuts. The hairy ones.
Buy a bag of turmeric powder.
Buy a disposable bowl like this.
Wash the coconuts.
Fill the disposable bowl one inch in height of the turmeric powder.
Place the head of each coconut that has the 3 “eyes” into the bowl of turmeric powder to coat the head and completely cover the eyes. The turmeric is a cleansing agent and will assist in the process of cleaning the rooms.
Leave an open bag at the main door of your home, laying open, on its side so you can roll the coconut in after completing the following steps. Paper bags seems easier but you should use plastic bags, doubled. You’ll learn why later in the steps.
Hold the coconuts and pray. To whoever you have complete faith in. Pray and ask for assistance in drawing the negative energy from your home into the coconut and out of your home and life. End your prayer by expressing gratitude for all that you have and for this opportunity to make your home better.
Take one coconut to one end of your home and place it on the floor. Do not touch the coconut with your hands (or any body part) again from this moment on. Use a broom to roll the coconut through the rooms all the way to your door and into the waiting bag. Always walk in front of the coconut, leading it. Never follow it. With every step, you must visualize the coconut sucking the negative energy in or you can visualize that every square foot you roll the coconut past becomes brighter. Have faith and belief in what you’re doing and it will work because intentions are made of energy. You have the power to do this. Never roll the same coconut through a room twice, unless that room leads to the door. If you need more than 2 coconuts, go for it.
Now use the next coconut to start on the other end of your home if the main door is in the middle of your home. If not, you can repeat the route of the first coconut. If you have an upstairs, start there and roll the coconut down the stairs to the door. If you have a basement, start from the furthest end and lead it up the stairs out your main door.
Tie the coconuts in the bag.
Walk over to a crossroad where there’s a trash can.
Drop the bag on the ground a few times until the coconuts crack. You can feel it through the bag but don’t touch it directly.
Drop the bag in the trash.
Walk away without turning back. Don’t return to that spot for 14 days.
Give your home a thorough mopping with a scent you love. I love lemon pine-sol.
How to protect your home from negative energy
- Set some rules about bickering. It must stop. Talk out issues and get it out of the way. Someone walking around pissed off all the time or mopping all the time is spreading their negative energies all over your home.
- Mop your home often and set a no-clutter rule.
- Have family nights filled with fun and laughter.
- Open window shades every day and let the sunlight in.
- Keep crappy people out. Yes, you know who I’m talking about.
- Burn incense or scented candles and play uplifting or spiritual music, whatever makes you happy. Singing bowls positively raise the vibration of energy. Do this often. It will help cleanse the existing energy.
- Install magnets. Add tourmaline pyramids to those rooms in your home that are easily affected. It is well known as a purifying stone that deflects and transforms negative energy and thus is very protective. It can transform and remove negativity from an individual or an environment. It is often used as an aura cleanser, and can help one attain higher levels of awareness. Cleanse before use by following these steps: Bury them in a bowl of salt to remove any previous negativity they have absorbed. Light a tea candle and pray to your preferred form of divinity to remove existing negativity from the stones. Next day dig them out of the salt, wipe the salt off into the bowl, place the crystals in unfiltered sunlight for charging. Throw the salt out of your home. Bag it and take it directly to the trash can. Place one stone in each of your rooms with the intention of it absorbing all negativity from the room.After a week remove the stones, cleanse them again as described above and re-use them. An easy way to find out if a crystal has absorbed negativity is to hold it with one hand and close your eyes. The crystal should feel heavier than usual and feel a gravitational pull to the ground or you may get a glimpse of a negative idea, etc. That means that the crystal has reached its capacity and needs cleansing before it can be used again.
Energy can be influenced and you can influence it with your intentions, happiness and thoughts of gratitude.